Ingredients for These Morning Muffins:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup honey
2 large eggs
3 jalapenos, diced
How To Make These Morning Muffins:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, and butter a 12-cup muffin tin and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking soda and salt.
3. In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, butter, eggs and honey.
4. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
5. Add jalapenos with seeds and gently combine.
6. Create 12 evenly sized balls of gouda.
7. Add a tablespoon of morning muffin mix in each muffin cup. Add a cheese ball to each muffin cup, then use the remainder of the mix to cover the cheese balls.
8. Place the muffin tray in the oven and bake for 15-17 minutes, until a tester/fork inserted in the side comes out clean.
9. Remove from oven and cool.
Me, Ranting and Raving:
My mom’s best friend, otherwise known as my second mom, turned 60 recently. As part of the celebrations, her daughter-in-law threw her a 60th birthday dinner on Sunday. I baked these jalapeno cornbread muffins to bring to her birthday party, mostly because I was looking for something to do with the piles of leftover cheese that ended up inspiring the brie and basil breakfast scones. I kept a bunch of these muffins, since I didn’t have time to take pictures of them before the party. They ended up serving as breakfast for the next few days, proving to me that they are the perfect morning muffin.
These muffins combine many of my favourite things, including sweetness, spice and cheese. They have a wonderful gritty texture and are easy to grab on the way out the door, making them the ultimate morning muffin for someone looking for an easy but delicious breakfast. They are pretty hearty (thanks cornmeal), meaning they will carry you through until lunch, and they keep for at least a week in the fridge without becoming stale. I usually tinker with a recipe a lot more before posting, but I enjoyed these morning muffins so much that I made them once and posted them! All in all, definitely worth making!
Will you be making these Cheese Stuffed, Jalapeno Cornbread Morning Muffins?