Ingredients for The Sweet & Savoury Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
½ cup sugar
⅓ cup cooking cream
½ cup olive oil
1 tablespoon orange juice
3 tablespoons orange peel zest
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup loosely packed basil and sage (equal parts)
How To Make These Sweet & Savoury Muffins
1. Preheat the oven to 350° and grease a muffin pan/line it with muffin cups.
2. Beat the sugar with the eggs until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
3. Add cooking creme, olive oil,orange juice and zest, mix well.
4. Add the remaining dry ingredients. Mix lightly, but be sure not to overmix.
5. Gently add the herbs.
6. Divide the batter between the muffins. Fill until the muffins no more than ⅔ of the way full
7. Bake for 17 – 20 minutes, until muffins are beginning to brown.
8. Let the muffins cool and enjoy!
Me, Ranting and Raving:
Lately, I’ve been obsessed with mixing herbs into sweet, sugary baked goods. I find that the sweet and earthy flavours combine beautifully, tickling and delighting the palate. These sweet and savoury muffins accomplish just that, resulting in a wonderfully understated flavour party in your mouth.
I made these sweet and savoury muffins a few weeks ago and forced them on my coworkers. They were well received, with one on my coworkers describing them as “nicely balanced.” These are definitely a make again muffin, since they are just savoury enough to be justified as a morning meal. They are also easy to grab on the way out the door, and eat while walking to work and listening to Passenger’s wonderfully, soothing hit: Simple Song (based on real life events).
Did you make these sweet & savoury muffins? How did they turn out? Did you make any substitutions?