Ingredients for This Crockpot Lamb Stew
750g stewing lamb
1 can white kidney beans
1/2 white onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 chicken stock cube, dissolved in water
1 786 ml can of diced tomatoes
4 carrots, roughly chopped
4 celery stalks roughly chopped
1 cup of cubed pumpkin (½’ inch cubes)
2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
1/2 container mint
1/2 container basil
2-3 stalks thyme
Salt and pepper
1-2 habaneros, minced using gloves (depending on desired spiciness)
1/2 cup kale (optional)
How To Make This Crockpot Lamb Stew:
1. Heat a pan to medium-high, add 1 tablespoon of oil
2. Once oil is heated, add onions, garlic and thyme to the pan and saute until slightly translucent (about 10 mins)
3. Remove from pan and place in slow cooker
4. Sprinkle the stewing lamb with salt and pepper
5. Add to pan, and cook until the meat is browned on both sides
6. Add the meat to the slow cooker, with all the liquid in the pan (scrape down sides to ensure you get all the flavour packed brown bits)
7. Add all the remaining ingredients, except the kale, to the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours
8. Once the stew is cooked, divide the stew and garnish with kale
Me, Ranting and Raving:
This crockpot lamb stew came about in a very unique way. Last week I was contending with a fridge filled with random leftover ingredients. As described in a bunch of previous posts, I have an insane amount of pumpkin in my fridge. I also had carrots, celery, onions and habaneros left over from when I created this slow cooker ragu. Then there was stewing lamb leftover from when I tried to buy lamb chops and bought stewing lamb instead (oops). Anyways, I had no choice but to get creative, or throw out a fuck ton of ingredients (and food waste is bad). The end result was this Spicy, White Bean and Pumpkin, Crockpot Lamb Stew.
I didn’t actually have any plans to post it, until I tried it. The crockpot lamb stew was surprisingly flavourful, without being hard to make. Plus, you can sub for any ingredients that happen to be in your fridge, so it’s versatile af.
Beyond being easy and versatile, it’s also perfectly suited to cold weather (fuck you Toronto, you’re getting colder), because of the homey herbs and punch of spice. I highly recommend this as a weeknight dinner, or easy lunch!
Are you going to make this Spicy, White Bean and Pumpkin, Crockpot Lamb Stew? Will you make any substitutions?